Research has found a close association of mental sickness to sleep deprivation. Insomnia or sleeplessness is the improper amount of sleep. As a result a person is unable to wake up fresh and energetic. Insomnia is not a disease by itself but is a symptom aroused due to some other disorder.
What are the types of insomnia?
Sleeplessness can be a consequence of various issues like fatigue, excessive caffeine intake, medication, stress or any other disorder. Any appropriate amount of sleep is not fixed to any individual. It varies with each person that how much sleep is required by him to freshen up. It is also very important to check that for how many time the person is suffering with sleeping disorder. If insomnia is less than a week, person is said to have transient insomnia, if it is for 2 to 3 weeks it is short term, and in case it exceeds for more than 3 weeks, chronic insomnia stage occurs.
Consequences of insomnia
- Sleep disorders if persistent can lead to various mental problems. It gives rise to bipolar disorders and manic depression that means patient experiences mood swings may be good or bad.
- Insomnia is also linked to Paranoia, mental disorder to the illusion point, in which a person suffers from irrational thought process. Sleeplessness can thus end a person with a permanent mental disorder.
- Inadequate sleep can also result into lack of focus and concentration.
- Insomnia affects the mental coordination of a person, for example lack of hand eye coordination.
- Along with adults, children are also sufferers of sleeplessness. Children suffer from behavioral issues like hyperactivity, impulsiveness and restlessness.
Can insomnia be cured?
The only treatment to sleeplessness is a proper amount of sleep. Sleep for an adequate period until you feel refreshed and relaxed. Don’t compel yourself to sleep and sleep whenever you feel comfortable.
- Make your environment disturbance free to have a good night sleep.
- Turn off lights while sleeping.
- Avoid any beverage containing caffeine and stop smoking as it may obstruct sleeping.
- Exercise regularly and do not ever skip your meals during the day.
- One can try meditation as it relaxes the body and make it stress-free, which is prerequisite for having a good sleep.
- If none of these works in your case, better consult a doctor and have proper medication done for you.
Good night’s sleep is essential for a healthy body and mind. So try to get it in any possible manner.