Sudden lowering of diaphragm and closing of sound producing folds at the upper part of trachea produces a strange sound repeatedly as we breathe in, this is called hiccoughs or hiccups. The sound is produced repeatedly and the gap between two hiccups is very short.
It is not a big problem and gets treated in some time by itself, but it can be annoying and irritating when you are sitting in your home with a group of people. It can be disturbing for others and also you can’t talk with others properly. In this article I am going to discuss some treatments to stop hiccups.
Natural treatments for hiccoughs at home
- Putting sugar under the tongue is a very old and effective home remedy for hiccups; you will get rid of hiccups in some time after doing this.
- Put some ice in a cloth and put it near your rib cage, where the diaphragm is. It is effective in stopping hiccups.
- One tablespoon peanut butter is effective in stopping hiccoughs.
- Breathe strongly into a paper bag, this force on breathing helps in relaxing diaphragm.
- Inhale some black pepper powder to induce sneezing, sneezing cause’s violent movement of respiratory organs and may help in getting rid of hiccups.
- Mix a half teaspoon cardamom powder in one cup water and boil it until the water in cup remains half. Filter and drink this water, it is effective in treating regular hiccups.
- Drink one teaspoon of white vinegar; it helps a lot in providing relief from hiccups.
- Swallow one teaspoon of mustard seeds with clarified butter, mustard because of its strong taste helps in stimulating the nerves in throat region.
- Hold your breath for some time and you will get rid of the hiccoughs. Many people hold their breath and count up to ten to get rid of hiccups.
- Drink water repeatedly, hiccups will stop in some time.
- Add a pinch of salt to a bowel of yogurt, and then eat the yogurt. It is a good treatment for hiccups.
- Diverting your mind towards other things also helps in stopping hiccups.
Use any of these easy tips and say good bye to these unwanted annoying sounds. You can also take advice from your doctor to get rid of regular hiccups.