Sometimes while cleaning our house we accidently ingest certain chemicals that harm us badly! They might have been swallowed or breathed and could be in liquid or gaseous form. Few chemicals are poisonous by nature and some become after getting combined with certain other active substances. But it is better that you tackle the situation smartly and do not panic. Let us today discuss about the whereabouts of the situations and how to combat them!
Condition: If a person has ingested a poison!
- What to do: Always learn the safety instructions on the product and then use.
- Make sure the person is breathing and immediately rush to the nearest medical centre.
- Tell the doctor about how much and which type of poison the person has ingested.
- Wear protective clothes while working with harmful chemicals and make sure they are placed out of reach of children.
Condition: If a person has inhaled smoke or chemical!
- What to do: Take the person to the place where he/she can breathe easily.
- Remove contaminated clothes and rinse the skin for 15-20 minutes.
- If you suspect it to be carbon monoxide, take the person immediately to the emergency centre.
- Make sure the person is breathing.
Condition: Chemical in the eye!
- What to do: Rinse with running water for 20-25 minutes. Let the water flow from the eye!
- Make the person blink again and again while washing the eye.
- Make sure you use proper protection like goggles when working with chemicals.
Condition: Animal Bite!
- What to do: The most common bites include cat and dogs bites. They can turn serious also sometimes and could require immediate medical attention.
- A tetanus injection is a must within 72 hours of the injury. And especially when you have not had it in the past 10 years.
- Wash the area thoroughly if the wound is minor and apply antibiotic ointment.
- If the bite is deep and bleeding is happening more than usual then immediately seek medical attention and try and stop bleeding by applying force!
- Do not be lenient as the animal can have rabies also.
Condition: Spider Bites
- What to do: Most spiders are not dangerous and for most bites you need to wash the affected area with soap and apply an antibiotic cream.
- If the person feels nauseated and irritated take him/her to the doctor!
- Cover the area with a cold pack and gauze.
Prevention: While it is impossible to stay away from insect stings, you can adopt these strategies to minimize the risk:
- Use insect repellent and don’t use scented soaps much and hair sprays as it can attract insects.
- Do not leave food and garbage uncovered. Dispose off every waste thing immediately.
- Make sure you seek proper treatment if confront any unusual situation.
So follow the simple instructions and help a person come out from such a dreaded situation easily!!